Thanks to the enthusiasms of my oldest brother, my family used to be up on the latest technology. We had a home laser printer before anyone I knew (600 dpi, folks!), and a home network before we even really had an internet connection (anyone remember Juno?). So I've always assumed that somehow, by osmosis, I'm the kind of person who would have great computer peripherals.
I was in denial. I took a personal printer from my parents' house when I started graduate school, but I usually relied on the departmental printer/copier for larger tasks. Now that I've graduated but haven't yet begun my job, I finally decided it was time to replace this baby:
Yeah, I knew this HP Laserjet 5MP was old. But I still had toner, and though the printing was slow, the device still worked reliably. Only yesterday did I check Wikipedia to find out when this was manufactured: 1995. The year of Braveheart, the O.J. Simpson trial, Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill. I had intended to resell this printer on craigslist*, but I'm no longer sure that's a realistic option – perhaps as a collector's item?
So now I've upgraded to this beauty, the HP Laserjet 2100M, which was also languishing unused at my parents' house.
How exciting: it's newer! It works fine! It's faster than the other one! It's a great leap forward! And I just discovered that this printer was made in 1999. <sigh> We may not be cutting edge anymore, but at least I can say that we buy pretty durable devices...
*UPDATE (7 Aug. 2013): I sold the old printer! To a guy on craigslist! Who was looking specifically for a 5P/5MP to replace his current one, which was dying. Crazy world...
Friday, July 26, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i went to this hilarious museum in colombia (not in bogota but oddly situated in an augustinian monastery) where there was all sorts of random things: money from all over the world (and from different times... like the money from the "confederate states of america"); random old clothing of the monks; and then a really out of nowhere display of old technology - a printer, a computer, a phonograph... i'm sure they'd love a donation! it sounds like you have valuable pieces to add to their collection and it's totally within their collecting scope! which is boundless! :-P
ReplyDeletehaha, too bad it would cost more than it could possibly be worth just to ship it somewhere!
Delete1999: the year of The Sixth Sense, Livin' la Vida Loca, and JFK Jr's death!
ReplyDeleteLivin' la Vida Loca! oh no, you're unearthing bad memories of awkward school dances in the gym...
Deletehey I remember Juno!!! :D
ReplyDeletei'm glad i'm not the only one! =)
Delete