Tuesday, October 15, 2013

coping

I've been thinking a lot recently about a conversation I had with my department chair several weeks ago. It seemed fairly unremarkable at the time, but my chair started our discussion by saying, "I was thinking about all the issues facing us right now, and I started to feel overwhelmed, so I sat down and made a list of things that we do actually have control over, and I wanted to share them with you." Now I realize that he was teaching me about how to survive in this job: focus on what you can actually control.

Part of the issue with adjusting to my job is that the boundaries between what I can or can't control are not yet obvious to me. This is probably due to my inexperience. A crisis will arise, and I will respond as if there's something I can do about it; it won't become clear until later that the issue was out of my hands the entire time. This is frustrating, but educational, and I'll learn.

At the moment, there are some things I know I can control. I want to focus on them over the next several weeks:
  • Research: this is my time to bang out some articles. Although my job still makes demands on my time, I do have the time and space to focus on my work. I need to make the most of it, because when this time is over, it won't be nearly as easy to spend an afternoon reading and writing. When I was sick of finishing my dissertation, I never imagined how precious I would consider my research time!
  • Well-being: the main assaults on my mental health are job-related stress and anxiety about getting Dave and myself to the same geographic location on a permanent basis; these are both long-term issues that will take some time to address. But what I can do now is make the effort to cook and eat healthfully, be disciplined about getting enough rest, and exercise (e.g., running twice a week and meditation of some form). These don't directly address the stressors, but I hope they'll make me stronger and more flexible (mentally and physically) when I have to deal with them.
  • Kindness: yeah, I'm pretty stressed out. But I have so much to be thankful for, and I can practice my thankfulness by being kind to others. I remember this little tiff I had with a woman in my choir back in 2005, when I was stressed out about applying for graduate schools. I was so sleepy during rehearsal, that I was reading a magazine when the sopranos were not actively rehearsing to stay awake. The woman behind me scolded me, which made me indignant. She emailed me later that night to apologize, saying that she had been out of line. I responded by explaining that I was sleep-deprived because I was going through a lot of stress, and she replied to say that she totally understood – her mother had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's the previous year, and she had had to put her in a nursing home, and bring her father home to live with her – and that I could call her anytime I needed someone to talk to. Umm, yeah you win, lady! I should have been more gracious towards her in her outburst. I've been trying to remember that lesson ever since: you never know what's going on in the lives of people around you, and a small gesture of kindness may go a long way in someone else's life.
Just typing out these plans have made me feel a little better. My hope is that at the end of the next few months, though I'm unsure about where things will stand on various issues with my program, I'll be able to say that I was disciplined about my research goals, worked to stay sound in mind and body, and was kind to others (esp. Dave!).

9 comments:

  1. Inspiring and good reminders - thanks for sharing! (For example, it made me think of my first high-decibel exchange with a homeless person this past weekend. Beyond how pragmatically pointless this was, kindness should have been a much more important point to remember...)

    In any case, you're clearly effective in setting goals and then achieving them (e.g., the last year), so very excited to see the outcomes of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this post is so inspiring and wise!!! exactly what we've been emailing about. "a list of things we have control over" :):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. even department chairs get overwhelmed... eventually i guess we'll be more used to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes – but to what extent is this just the beginning of feeling overwhelmed for the rest of our lives? or at least until our hypothetical children leave the nest?? yikes.

      Delete
    2. Overwhelmed? Who's overwhelmed? ;)

      "Adults have everything so much easier. They can do what they want without asking anyone for permission, and they don't even have to do homework." --Julie, age 6

      Delete
  4. I'm as proud and thankful for your accomplishments at home as at your job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love love love this approach. i think that figuring out what you have control over (sleep, eat, exercise - hey there's a turkey trot on nov 9, interested in running/plodding along with me??) and taking control over that is both empowering and necessary. i love love love the gratitude/kindness element. particularly when it ends up with me eating pumpkin chocolate chip muffins.

    go k go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story about the woman at choir practice.

    And great reminder about taking care of your body when you have a lot going on. I'm guilty of being really bad about that. "Everything's wrong, I'm exhausted, I feel like a failure, I want to cry... oh, and I had Doritos for breakfast because I was in a rush and it was in my desk, then I chewed some gum for lunch because I was busy, then I ate half a bagel at 4, so I wonder why I feel especially miserable about life..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a friend and i were just laughing about how society is always wringing its hands about, "how can we teach young women that it's their MIND and CHARACTER that matter, not just their looks," while we have to try to remember all the time, "we're not just brains on sticks, we actually have a body we're supposed to take care of..." ;)

      Delete