Sunday, September 6, 2015

Some birds of Costa Rica

I've never been particularly fascinated by birds, but after this trip, I can understand a little better why people can be obsessed with observing them and cataloguing their endless varieties. Maybe it's time to get into birdwatching!


The "reclusive" and "resplendent" quetzal! We were very lucky to spot this bird during our short stay. Look at its gorgeous coloring!


 We met this owl on a night hike in Monteverde. Hoot hoot

 A sleeping blue-crowned mot mot

A series of pictures of hummingbirds follows here. There was a hummingbird garden just outside the nature reserve, attracting all kinds of gorgeous birds. Such a variety of jewel-colored little birds!







 And finally, a pair of macaws that greeted us at a rest stop:




2 comments:

  1. quetzal-- I think that is only a word I saw in alphabet books when I was little! and you've seen one for real! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of the quetzal before traveling to CR! You are so learned. =)

      Delete