Friday, February 12, 2016

San Francisco

The weeks are flying by, especially now that the semester has started. We're in deep freeze this weekend in NY, but I don't want to forget the lovely and mild weekend Dave and I spent together in San Francisco last month. I was out there for a conference, and Dave flew out to join me afterwards. It seems like a pretty great city! But I don't think I'd be tempted to move there from New York. I felt very hip and tech-y, though – we booked our first Airbnb stay and took Uber cabs everywhere! The future is here.


Dave's cousin and his wife took us on a tour that included a walk in beautiful Muir Woods.


So majestic! I always feel short, but I felt especially diminutive here.


Then we went for a walk across the Golden Gate Bridge:


It was too long, so we only went across part of it! Haha. It's the return journey that always gets ya!

The next day, we took the ferry to Alcatraz. Funny how things change...the most notorious criminals for their time tended to have committed crimes like bank robbery, organized crime, post-Prohibition-type stuff, less violent crime than I would have expected. I find it hard to believe that there was a time when the most fearsome lawbreaker was a bank robber. Now you can rob a bank with a hoodie and a toy gun! Not that you'll get very far...



We ate some delicious dim sum:


And on our final morning, went for a peaceful walk around Golden Gate Park.


Next time, we want to stay longer in California so that we can visit other nearby places, too. 'Til then!

2 comments:

  1. Fun!! I need to spend more time in SF... my sisters and I are going to see Coldplay in SF on 3 Sept 2016 hehe maybe we can roam around a bit then. (PS my dad is staying in airbnb here in Antakya! tech takes over the world! no uber here though haha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coldplay!! I finally learned what they look like when they played the Super Bowl halftime show. You guys are so cool – first Taylor Swift, now Coldplay. I didn't know there would be Airbnb in Antakya! Pretty wild!!

      Delete