Last year, Dave and I spent Valentine's Day on a cruise with my family. This year, we are not on a boat – but that's no reason not to spend it with my family! Usually Grace or I makes family dinner; for this special occasion, Dave and Stephen took over. Here are the chefs at work:
The results: a feast of homemade paella and roasted asparagus! Dave has been trying variations on his paella for a long time now. He has discovered that the cast iron skillet gives the best results: you'll want to stir the rice some as it cooks, so that it cooks evenly; but towards the end, refrain from stirring so that a nice saccarat forms on the bottom. We all agreed that this was his best version yet!
To make it extra romantic, we broke out our wedding china and candlesticks! A and M were not particularly impressed, I don't think. Haha.
I'd been tempted all week by the recipes for chocolate desserts that I'd seen posted online. When I saw a recipe for Intense Chocolate Mousse Cake, I knew what I wanted for Valentine's dessert! Unfortunately, Dave does not know how to make a cake. Solution: I'd just have to make it myself! It was my first time baking a dessert in a water bath.
The dessert looks like a flourless chocolate cake (it is indeed flourless), but is not as dense in texture. I do like to make a classic chocolate mousse, but this cake recipe is nice because the top crackly crust gives it a contrasting texture to the inside.
I would definitely make it again! And the water bath was not as messy/intimidating as I thought it would be. I recommend.
Finally: Dave also bought me gifts! He comparison shopped at the local grocery stores, and found the best deal on flowers...that's my guy! Plus a sweet treat. I couldn't ask for more.
Sunday, February 14, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
paella, yummm... and the cake looks amazing!
ReplyDelete