Saturday, March 12, 2016

Spring blossoms

I don't want to jinx us, but we've had a remarkably mild winter! Only one big snow (before the semester started, phew), and generally warmer-than-usual temperatures. Last year was much worse, and since I'm commuting to teach a 9:30 am class this semester, I'm particularly grateful for the mild weather – fewer of those nightmare commuting mornings where everything is late or canceled, the LIRR doesn't tell you anything, and there are hordes of angry, entitled Long Islanders on the rampage.

A few weeks ago, I went for the first time to the New York Botanical Garden, with Julie, to see their "Orchidelirum" show. The show was full of impressive and interesting orchids of all shapes and sizes. And it was enjoyable to learn about the Victorian craze for orchids and the life of orchid-hunters around the world. Plus, it was a beautiful morning, and the company was the best! I'd like to go back to the Botanical Garden when the rest of the grounds are in bloom. Here are some snapshots from our visit:


What I called "Mount Orchid"





All smiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment