Wednesday, July 17, 2013

on pigeon-holes

I began my experiment with blogging about a year ago, intending to chronicle a year of many changes. Indeed, I completed my degree, found a job, and got married! I had thought that by this point – having navigated the title-change from A.B.D. to professor, and bride to newlywed – I would have arrived, sitting pretty, smugly secure. But it turns out that a new set of liminal spaces awaited: adjusting to a new stage in my personal life, shuttling back and forth between my old home and new job, becoming a "real professor," and learning how to handle major leadership responsibilities. And until my brand-new husband finds a job near mine, how could I possibly feel settled?

So I find myself in yet another in-between place. This makes me uncomfortable. I love ordering the universe through reliable categories! I like the way Robert Darnton put it in his discussion of the subversive power of Diderot's Encyclopedie:
Pigeon-holing is therefore an exercise in power. A subject relegated to the trivium rather than the quadrivium, or to the "soft" rather than the "hard" sciences, may wither on the vine. A mis-shelved book may disappear forever. An enemy defined as less than human may be annihilated. All social action flows through boundaries determined by classification schemes, whether or not they are elaborated as explicitly as library catalogues, organization charts, and university departments. (The Great Cat Massacre, 1984)
Unfortunately, I'm beginning to realize that I may never achieve that longed-for sense of "settled," "achievement," "permanency," safety in my own little pigeon-hole. So this is adult life, huh?


5 comments:

  1. your post reminds me of this Jars of Clay song...

    The ice is thin enough for walkin'
    The rope is worn enough to climb
    My throat is dry enough for talkin'
    The world is crumblin' but I know why
    The world is crumblin' but I know why

    The storm is wild enough for sailing
    The bridge is weak enough to cross
    This body frail enough for fighting
    I'm home enough to know I'm lost
    Home enough to know I'm lost


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZAa3JOmRg4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jars of clay! wow, totally taking me back to the 90s...thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. If things weren't constantly changing, you would have nothing to work on or look forward to, and you would be SO BORED! Of course in some stages the change is slower, but still :)

    I love categories too. Often I find myself still categorizing people by age, which is USELESS in revealing what "stage" someone's in on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, YES, I do the same! as if we're still in elementary school, where the one kid who skipped a grade was physically smaller than everyone else...

      Delete
  3. As a Librarian, I also love categories and get uncomfortable when I cannot order the world as well. But, I have faith in you! Fun new blog look too!

    ReplyDelete