Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Deck the Halls

One of my favorite post-Thanksgiving traditions is the annual Christmas tree hunt. My dad has always been awesome about taking us kids to a tree farm in some rural place in Pennsylvania and helping us select and then kill our annual quarry. Sadly, Dave and I missed the tree hunt this year, as we were traveling to Austin. This picture is from two years ago, but this is how it typically turns out:


I always love the moment when I've put the finishing touches on decorating the tree, and I call my family around; we turn out the lights and take a moment to bask in its glow. Dave and I are making a more...modest start to our Christmas traditions. We now have two ornaments for our tiny decorative tree: Cookie Monster Santa and a personalized ornament for 2013, both from Bronner's CHRISTmas Wonderland, a Michigan landmark.



Maybe someday we'll hunt a live tree and trim it with lights and a hundred ornaments, each rich in meaning and family tradition. But I'm happy with starting small, and looking forward to watching our life together grow!

UPDATE: By popular request, a picture with my hand next to Cookie Monster Santa for scale. It is a very teeny tree that usually lives in an old popcorn tin.


8 comments:

  1. Those are really large ornaments, not a 2-inch tree, right? ;) Just giving you a hard time. I love the tree and the Katie & Dave penguins! Sweet start to many years of fun and creative traditions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah awwww :) cute tree. "our first christmas"! (on S's comment, I am a bit confused about the exact proportions. we need a human hand in there to provide the perspective!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Julie's for the doughnut picture! So helpful. =)

      Delete
    2. Yay! I also love the ribbon star. (About tying bows...)

      Delete
    3. Haha-- think doughnuts and Christmas trees can't be similar in size? WRONG.

      Delete
    4. hahaha!! love the last photo...

      Delete
  3. This is SO SWEET. I hope you keep doing the blog forever. That way every December we can have a Christmas ornament update, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. um, i love the cookie monster ornament!!!

    ReplyDelete