I always forget how important it is for me to read fiction. I love the way it takes me into a world far from my own; I love getting to know fictional characters; and I love recognizing or being mystified by the actions and thoughts of those characters. I suppose this is how people feel about good movies too.
But when I get stressed out or busy with work, fiction is usually the first thing that drops off the to-do list. This happened again in October and November this year. Fortunately, I got an assignment that involved contemporary fiction: reading and reviewing my cousin's new novel! The book is by Andrew Lam and is called Two Sons of China. (Amazon link here)
First of all, I loved it! I read it while we were traveling and in Austin, and it was hard to quit to go sightseeing. Second of all, the book is about the friendship formed between an American soldier and a Chinese Communist who fought together against the Japanese in WWII. It's based on the historical Dixie Mission to China, when Americans engaged with the Communists (i.e., not just the Nationalists) in order to hold off the Japanese. I really enjoyed learning about the history, since I had no idea anything of the sort had ever happened. The characters were also well-rounded and interesting, and the plot surprised me a number of times.
Thirdly, I am really proud of Andrew. This is his first novel, his non-fiction book on sight is already out, and his second novel is in revisions. This from a guy who is also a retinal surgeon and a father of four awesome kiddos. Yes, he does have the world's best wife, Christina, who clearly makes all his success possible. But I also admire his discipline and willingness to pursue his passion. Maybe if I can imitate him more, I'll be able to turn that darn dissertation into a book over the next several years!
Friday, December 6, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I liked his book on sight. I read it in just two sittings!
ReplyDeleteIs this only going to be available on the Kindle? I am loving historical fiction more and more these days...
no, the print edition should be up soon! it was supposed to come out today, though i don't see it on the site yet. but any day now! =)
DeleteCousin Andrew is so impressive!
ReplyDeleteI'm appreciating "inspiring people" these days (which your cousin is, in this case). It's hard not to, with all the news about Mandela. Now, trying to focus on being inspired and not intimidated! :P
ReplyDeletei loved on sight! will have to read this one too!!
ReplyDelete