Saturday, January 18, 2014

Dispatch from Week 1

Welcome to the family co-op! I find myself in a somewhat unconventional living situation: until Dave gets his employment situation settled out (which will hopefully happen in the next month or two), I'm living with my brother, his wife, his almost-two-year-old daughter (and soon a newborn boy) in a house on Long Island. The commute can be brutal, but the social support (and hugs from my little niece) makes it worthwhile.

Already after one week, I feel grateful for the arrangement. For example, on Monday, I was using a new, very sharp knife, and sliced open three of my fingers, one pretty badly. Good thing I'm living with a plastic surgeon-in-training! I've been receiving good wound care all week. And on Wednesday, when my sister-in-law sliced off part of her fingertip with the same evil knife set, well, I couldn't help with the finger – she had to go to the hospital for that. But I could make sure dinner was ready and on the table when she returned with her sewn-up finger. All I can say is: don't buy the Komachi knives. The sharpness is great, but they're very light and without heft, which I think contributed to our injuries.

We're still settling into our routines and patterns here, and hopefully I'll be preparing soon to seek a new home for me and Dave. But until then, I'm glad I'm here.

1 comment:

  1. oh no!!! so sorry you cut your fingers, those knives really do sound dangerous!

    ReplyDelete