Sunday, December 18, 2016

A new era dawns

And it is the era of solids! Well, "solids." I diluted this oatmeal cereal with so much breastmilk that it was practically a liquid. I couldn't quite tell what M. thought about the whole business. She's been giving us lots of signals in recent weeks – looking with great interest as we eat, grabbing for food off my plate, making munching movements with her mouth while we chew. Today was mainly about introducing her to a spoon and having her experiencing a slightly different texture.

We got to use the personalized spoons that were a shower gift from Julie and Katie. They're engraved with our in utero nickname for M., Lumpy. I still love to call her Lumpy – Grumpy Lumpy, Slumpy Lumpy, Bumpy Lumpy, etc.



Here's the face of a girl who knows something good is about to happen:






"What is this strange sensation??"

Grabbing the spoon like it's a toy


"Nice."

We're excited to introduce her to solids, so that we can all share the family love for eating. I know it'll be a few more months before she's getting significant caloric intake from food, rather than from my milk, but I'm still astonished at how fast this has happened. Those early weeks in July when I was nursing 8x a day and pumping 8x a day are still so fresh in my memory. I was so determined to increase my milk supply for her; her need for me to provide her nourishment was so obvious. And now she's already moving on! I had never been much of a newborn person, but now I already miss her newborn days. No wonder people advise me to soak up every moment and enjoy every day. It all changes so quickly...

1 comment:

  1. she'll always need you! just in different ways! precious to see these milestones and to remember-- wow! not long ago it was already so different <3

    ReplyDelete