I leave on Wednesday for several weeks in New York City, so we decided to go on a final summer adventure this weekend. The Destination:
Even after all these years, I had never visited Windsor, Ontario, just across the river from Detroit, despite its reputation for good dim sum and...gambling. So off we went:
We managed to get the world's nosiest customs agent at the border. The best question he asked us was, "Other than the personal clothes on your body, what are you bringing into the country?" Well, a lot of things, I guess, sir: there's the car we're sitting in, which also contains my purse with hand sanitizer in it, and here's a water bottle, and my sun hat. Should I mention the old ipod in the glove compartment? I guess we are bringing a frisbee in the trunk, along with spare grocery bags. Is that what you meant?
Our favorite dim sum place in Ann Arbor recently closed up shop, essentially in the middle of the night. So we hit up May Wah Inn, where the dim sum is carried by the staff on a cafeteria tray past each table. Canadian-style?
Then we unpacked the bikes and hit the riverfront biking path, which links several beautiful parks.
From across the river, does this really look like the largest city to file for bankruptcy in U.S. history?
Our favorite part was probably the Windsor Sculpture Park.
Before dinner in Little Italy, we strolled around historic Walkerville. The areas that looked safe were also quite charming:
We returned to America after dinner and made a quick stop at the Renaissance Center, the headquarters for GM in downtown Detroit. It was only okay, but no one broke into our car while we went inside, so we were happy.
Hard to believe that summer is coming to an end...
(Feedback sought: I'm experimenting with the photo collage trend. Yea or nay?)
Even after all these years, I had never visited Windsor, Ontario, just across the river from Detroit, despite its reputation for good dim sum and...gambling. So off we went:
Our favorite dim sum place in Ann Arbor recently closed up shop, essentially in the middle of the night. So we hit up May Wah Inn, where the dim sum is carried by the staff on a cafeteria tray past each table. Canadian-style?
Then we unpacked the bikes and hit the riverfront biking path, which links several beautiful parks.
From across the river, does this really look like the largest city to file for bankruptcy in U.S. history?
Our favorite part was probably the Windsor Sculpture Park.
Ready to join the traveling circus!
Before dinner in Little Italy, we strolled around historic Walkerville. The areas that looked safe were also quite charming:
We returned to America after dinner and made a quick stop at the Renaissance Center, the headquarters for GM in downtown Detroit. It was only okay, but no one broke into our car while we went inside, so we were happy.
Hard to believe that summer is coming to an end...
(Feedback sought: I'm experimenting with the photo collage trend. Yea or nay?)



What do you mean by "photo collage trend"?
ReplyDeleteDo you mean like the Instagram photos that are split using PicStitch, that kind of look?
OK, I just looked at your photos again after seeing Katie's comment, and I see that you already DID do what I asked about in my question-- oops! I was tired yesterday ;) I like photo collages and you're using them thoughtfully.
Deletei'm glad you like them! yes, i'm trying to imitate PicStitch, i guess, but i'm not sure i'm doing it very successfully!
Deletei like the photo collage! especially the first one. my first reaction to the second one was-- i wish the side photos were bigger! i wanted to see them more up close. but overall i think it's fun for the blog. how do you do it-- is it a blogger feature, or you make them first in paint and then upload??
ReplyDeletei used Picasa – free download! i agree that sometimes with the collage, it makes some pictures too small or cuts out portions that would have been nice to have. i decided that maybe collage is best when i want to show a process, rather than discrete events?
Deleteooo such a good distinction! yeah a collage makes sense for a process. Or maybe for parts of a whole-- like a big photo of a room with the little photos of parts of the room.
Delete