But now I feel paralyzed about major decisions involving career strategy and my personal life. I feel my lack of experience and wisdom so acutely. I've spent nearly my entire adulthood in school, which always provided me with an obvious step-by-step script to follow. But now I find myself in an unusual job – not only am I confused, but no one can advise me about how things "should" go or what the expectations for me are. My position is awkward because I am an assistant professor in one department, but I also direct a language program (LP) in a different location. I am to be evaluated in my performance at both aspects. Here are some areas in which I feel indecisive:
Conflict #1: What to do this fall?
- A. I should remain, or at least spend a significant amount of time, in NYC for my research time (Oct.-Dec.) in order to keep the ball rolling at the language program. When I'm physically away, important program priorities may stall, and as Director, I'm responsible for seeing them through. This will make the spring semester a lot easier to handle.
- B. I should return to Michigan to live with my husband! I'm a newlywed, I'm miserable when we're apart, and this is an important opportunity to take advantage of. Also, as an assistant professor, it's imperative that I protect my research time in order to publish, publish, publish.
Conflict #2: Where to live?
- A. Because Dave is still seeking employment in the metropolitan area, I should avoid paying a broker's fee and signing a lease as long as possible. He could get a job in New Jersey or Connecticut or upper Manhattan, which would greatly affect where we live. By waiting to see what happens, I invest in the idea that we will be living together soon, a hope I must nurture to stay sane.
- B. I should invest in a place and a neighborhood so that I can feel more settled and happy. I'm a nesting-type person, and my mental health will improve when I have a place that meets my needs, even if I find it problematic and expensive later to be locked into a location that turns out not to be suitable.
- A. I should focus on putting in face time in my own department. This was the advice of a friend who just finished his first year on the tenure-track. These are the people who will mentor me towards tenure and vote on my tenure file, and this is where my primary appointment lies.
- B. I should focus on putting in face time in the location of the LP, which is in a different borough from my department. This was the advice of the previous director of the program. A lack of personal connections at the location of the LP has been detrimental for the program, and one of my big priorities is raising our profile and emphasizing our benefit to the larger institution.
oy. i have no insights into your conflicts (but you've laid them out so well!). i know, though, that you have everyone rooting for you and that we all understand that no decision is easy - each is fraught with gray zone and pros and cons. in grad school, one day we took a look at leadership qualities. one of them was "tolerance of ambiguity." i looked at that and said, NO WAY. i like to have ALL THE INFORMATION RIGHT NOW. and know that it is correct! but, it's really true. when you're leading something you never know the full picture, you never know all the players involved, you never know all their motivations, and you have to balance all of that with your own personal life decisions. so - this probably isn't the slightest bit comforting but i don't think you are alone in your worry about not having all the future fully mapped out. but, you're getting some great practice right now in developing leadership skills. and no matter what choices you make now regarding personal vs. professional life - this practice will be so immeasurably helpful to you later on. good luck! we're all cheering you on!
ReplyDeleteAwww, thanks for this, Sarah! I know you're right – it's now just a matter of trusting it, acting on it, and being patient with outcomes. I'm sure eventually I'll get more comfortable with ambiguity, provided I see that ambiguity doesn't always indicate looming disaster! Your comment got sent to me as an email, as well – I'm starring it so I can always find it easily and remind myself of your advice!
Deleteyikes - so many options! How about running away with me and Tuck?
ReplyDeleteyou're doing a great job! go easy on yourself and just prioritize the best you can, making adjustments as you go along... this is a big transition and it takes a lot of energy to settle in, make sure to get enough sleep (if possible :)) and eat well, dearie.
ReplyDeleteI read this post a bunch of times and kept hesitating about what to say, because agh, tension!
DeleteBut seriously-- WHAT SHE SAID!
Love you!