I don't think I've ever lived in a place as diverse as Brooklyn. The specific neighborhood where I'm living is less diverse, and I was sad to find that there is no obvious place to buy Chinese vegetables. Out by campus, though, I spotted this store:
West Indian? Chinese? American, too? Fish AND pig tail? An appropriately nonsensical name? How could this shop go wrong??
It turned out to be a very interesting place. Bread fruit and strange squashes greeted me; organic agave and tortillas and oyster sauce jostled against each other on the shelves. But alas – I couldn't find any of the Chinese vegetables I sought (Chinese broccoli, baby bok choy, watercress, or pea shoots). But before I could begin to complain to myself about the lack of Chinese-aimed products, I saw these:
Bittermelon! My least favorite Chinese vegetable! I was in no way tempted to buy it, but there's something comforting in knowing it's there. When I get tired of crying out my stress, at least I know I can always turn to eating my bitterness. Thanks for being there for me, Brooklyn.
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i have never had bitter melon! but with a name like that, i'm not terribly tempted to try...
ReplyDeletei'm just relieved you don't have to do without some quality pig tail!
ReplyDeleteI like bitter melon! This is not a metaphor. I like bitter melon!
ReplyDeletehow bizarre! ;)
DeleteOh no - now I'm really sorry for the two Costco lasagna meals in a row! This is what happened. Your mom bought one for us a while ago when it was one of the few things I could eat in my nauseated state. I then bought a huge one from Costco myself and realized I'd have to save it for a large group dinner. Your cousins and you come to visit on the same night the week after you return from your mom's basement. Costco lasagna reappears! What are the odds! In the future, I can get you some vegetables - we go to Hmart twice or more a week.
ReplyDeletebut i enjoyed the salad and green beans you made so much! no worries. =)
DeleteI'm told eating bitter melon is good for your complexion, for whatever that's worth :) Similar to rubbing watermelon rind all over your face. I suppose both could help with some kind of distraction/relief from stress. In any case, I totally identify with your comfort in finding a grocery store with ethnic (and particularly Chinese) products, bringing both relief from "the norm" and familiarity at the same time!
ReplyDelete