Sunday, September 1, 2013

Michigan's Adventure

I am happily in Ann Arbor for Labor Day weekend – the perfect opportunity for a final summer adventure with Dave! We decided to drive to Muskegon on the west coast of Michigan, where Michigan's Adventure, a low-key water park and amusement park, is located.


There is something so democratizing about the water park. We all stand in long lines together, taking in the acres of human flesh, the ill-advised tattoos, the open wounds. As much as I feared the bacteria lurking in the water, it was nevertheless refreshing to enjoy the rides and pools.


Water slides offer just the right amount of excitement for me: there's a limit to how fast you can go, you're generally well-enclosed, the ride is smooth and downhill. Although Dave loves roller coasters, I hadn't ridden one in about 15 years. I find submitting my body to the twists and turns and varying G-forces terrifying rather than exhilarating. I also hate how my head gets banged around on the restraints, which always gives me a headache by the end of the day!


But I want to be a "cool wife," so I finally agreed to try some roller coasters with Dave. We started off easy, ramping up to the most intense coaster in the park, the Thunderhawk! It has all these stats, blah blah blah, but here's one I should have noted before I got on: "Riders are sent upside down five times at speeds up to 50 mph!" While Dave was thrilled, I just tried to grit my teeth and make it through to the end of the ride. The picture taken during the ride gave me away:

Amused I am not! Note how desperately I am clinging to Dave's hand. This pictures totally cracks me up!

After enduring such a trial, I insisted on a romantic ride on the Ferris wheel, with lots of pictures to balance out the one above.


All in all, a pretty good adventure! Summer 2013 has been a season of intense change and looming uncertainty about the future. But at least we end it on a good note: even in the far reaches of the midwest, we still know how to have fun together!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so, Katie! Let's just hope the husband agrees... ;)

      Delete
  2. but i love that you've turned to d for support in your time of trepidation! :-) way to clutch his hand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coolest wife EVER!! That picture is worth a thousand words..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha someday your kids will point to the roller coaster and Ferris wheel pictures and say with great amusement, "Our parents are such dorks!"

    ReplyDelete