Thursday, September 19, 2013

moon

This past year has been a period of instability in my identity; some changes have been pleasant, others less so, and much confusion remains. But one thing, I suppose, is unchanged: I'm Asian! And this year, something unusual occurred: I observed the Moon Festival.

Typically, I forget about the holiday until it has passed, or I make an attempt to watch the moon, but it's cloudy and/or raining. This year, I had some help. My mother provided me with a moon cake when I saw her last week, and when I spoke to her on the phone last night, she reminded me about the Moon Festival. So I opened up my moon cake package, climbed to the roof, and in the perfect September air, watched the moon.


Lotus paste, no yolk: just the way I like it.

Moon over Brooklyn, 2013

The paradoxically smooth yet grainy lotus paste, the oily pastry that leaves my fingertips greasy, the scent of jasmine tea – all familiar things that remind me of home. I would have liked to have shared these moments with a certain special someone, but maybe it's enough to have experienced them at all.

4 comments:

  1. so beautiful... thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have been there to share a moon cake with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE also celebrated the moon holiday! We miraculously had the telescope from the AADL and we miraculously had some breaks in the clouds when we went out to look! Ah the moon - what a breathtaking object. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, nice work! glad that the weather + telescope + holiday coincided for you guys!

      Delete