- Research: I've gotten my first two articles in press, and drafted most of a new article coming out of my dissertation. Not bad!
- Well-being: for the past six weeks, I have diligently run twice a week. I've been practicing a little yoga (though could do more), and have done a weekly 7-Minute Workout. I sleep regular hours, and have been cooking healthy foods (and baking plenty of treats) for me and Dave.
- Kindness: this category will never get a big check mark from me, unfortunately. But I'm glad that I've articulated it as a goal because it does motivate me to take the time to make a meal for someone, reach out to a friend going through a hard time, and be patient with the inefficient person ahead of me in line (why is this one always the hardest?).
For the first time in my life, I went to see a therapist today. I'd been hoping to put this off until I got back to New York, where my health insurance will provide some coverage. But my friends' gentle suggestions have become more urgent over time, and I decided that they were right. I'm glad I went, and over my last month and a half in Ann Arbor, I hope to gain new insights into why I feel so overwhelmed, while learning new techniques for managing my anxiety in this transitional time in life.
This isn't the sort of thing that I would normally publish on a non-password-protected blog. But I'm inspired by the work my cousin Stephanie is doing at the University of Waterloo with Stand Up to Stigma, a student initiative that fosters more open dialogue about mental health. I'm thankful for everyone in my life who has told me about their experiences with mental health treatment recently, and I want to be able to do the same.
so proud of you, dear one!!! you're a great role model for us and others as well! in so many ways <3
ReplyDeletei agree with katie on the role model front. i really like two things about this post: the kindness goal and the therapy mention. as the recipient of your baked goods, i feel strongly about the kindness goal. on nom nom. no but seriously - on the kindness front, it's a nice thing to practice. receiving joy from bringing joy is really a lovely experience. so, way to go :-) and yes, therapy is so helpful. strategies are critical. those panic attack symptoms are worrying, so trying some different tacks will be critical! you're already meeting hte therapist more than half way by being reflective and thoughtful about your own goals and needs and assessment of your situation. so already you've given yourself a big advantage. can't wait to hear more about what you learn and how you are able to employ some new coping techniques!
ReplyDeleteIt's so important to talk about these things. I wish more people had talked to me about their experiences with mental health treatment years ago. But to be fair, I didn't give them an opportunity to do so, because I didn't admit that I was in trouble.
ReplyDeleteSo you are "not coping," but you are coping-- you have acknowledged your struggle, and have support coming in from many directions! And cliched but true: it takes strength to show weakness. You are amazing.
I've always admired your honesty, insight, kind heart (which shows in so many little ways. Sometimes, I wonder if you even realize it about yourself. Also, I'd like to think that being impatient in the check-out line is a war between the virtues of patience and efficiency ;)), and strength. You show all of that, particularly the last, in different ways throughout this entry. Hugs, as you make your way along this inexplicable business of life, and thanks for inspiring along the way!
ReplyDelete