One thing that has been nice about this period of living in New York is that I'm learning a lot more about the outer boroughs. I haven't been to the Upper West or Upper East side very often at all. Instead, I'm learning the neighborhoods in Brooklyn, eating in Flushing, and here, observing the wonderful diversity that can be found in the public spaces of Queens. I always think of living in New York as being impossible for so many reasons, but it really is a different experience outside of Manhattan.
The Unisphere, which I totally thought was just a movie prop. Turns out it's very real.
The siren song of the carousel
Someone had a very good time on the carousel!
I *met* Mr. and Mrs. Met! <wince>
This is the incredible panoramic scale model of New York City in the Queens Museum. It's 100 feet:1 inch, and they keep it updated. There are little airplanes that land at and depart from La Guardia, and the lights simulate from dawn to dusk. I'm standing basically over Coney Island; that's Manhattan towards the top left, with all the tall buildings surrounding the "empty" rectangle of Central Park.
This is great!! I really like that panoramic scale model too... is Mr. Met doing a fistbump with nobody? I didn't know that was a thing!
ReplyDeleteI always think of "New York" as specific parts of Manhattan too... and I'll think things like, "I can't afford to live there," which I'm sure would surprise all the NY residents who make less than I do ;-)
it looks like Mr Met is punching himself in the face... :D
ReplyDeletelove these photos!! fun