Friday, May 23, 2014

One year

Can you believe it? Dave and I are celebrating our first anniversary this weekend in Philadelphia! Remember this?


It feels strange to have reached this milestone already. I did a rough survey last night of how often we've been together, and we have spent less than 50% of our first year of marriage in the same state as one another. It's not what I had dreamed of for my life or marriage so far. I know more about living with Stephen and Grace and two little ones than I know about living with my own husband! In a way, I feel like we haven't "earned" our anniversary, since we haven't lived life together for a year yet. I feel like we've had a two year engagement, just with a wedding in the middle. We're committed to each other, we know we want to be together, we are preparing to share our lives, and we're still waiting for the fulfillment to come.


And yet when I look through pictures like the one above, all of the emotions rush right back to the surface. There's my husband, there are the commitments we made, and despite the distance this year, I know that we have grown together, learned to love each other more deeply, and discovered many of the blessings and challenges of marriage.

My hope is that this year of patience, enduring alone, and loving while apart will have developed relationship skills that will save us in the times ahead. In the meantime, we continue to wait for good news about Dave's job, and we do our thing every day. But this weekend: CHEESESTEAKS.

Oh yeah: hello ladies! You're the best.




3 comments:

  1. hunger is the best sauce... this year cant have been fun but when you are together & settled, you will know how precious that time really is. you won't be taking that for granted, like so many of us do with life's many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wise and moving essay, k dear... our beautiful bride!! love these wonderful photos-- it's only going to get better from here on out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're on track to fulfill the dream of being together!.. and all I can say is, thank goodness for Skype!

    ReplyDelete