Saturday, May 10, 2014

Million Dollar Bike Ride

Last weekend was the big day: the charity bike ride I had been "training" for! It was the Million Dollar Bike Ride, sponsored by Penn Medicine to raise money for rare disease research. My mom was diagnosed with the rare lung disease lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM) over a decade ago; the disease has no known cure, and little federal funding is available for a disease that affects a relatively limited group of women. It is only through the efforts of a small group of dedicated researchers, supported in large part by private funds, that even one treatment has been discovered recently. Our team of riders raised money for the LAM Foundation, which will direct the funds towards LAM research.

It was a beautiful day for a ride. Once I put on the race jersey, I felt that I had achieved peak sportiness of my entire life. I did only the shortest option (11 miles), and it involved pedaling up at least one hill, so I felt like it required plenty of effort! The route began on Penn's campus in West Philadelphia, wound past the zoo, and into Fairmount Park. It was fun to go past sites that were all discrete in my mind: the Please Touch Museum, the Horticulture Center, the Mann Music Center, etc. I'm inspired: this race was ostensibly the "first annual," so maybe I'll try to go even further next year! Anyone else want to join me?

Go team!

With my parents

S. came up to Philly to do the ride with me – except she went for 35 miles! Way to go!!!



3 comments:

  1. 11 and 35 miles! you girls ROCK! the racing jerseys are way cool :D all for an important cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so sporty, Katie! ;)

    It was so encouraging to be there with a whole crowd of cyclists, supporters, etc. for the cause. Plus, a bonus fun weekend with you & your family. I highly recommend it all :)

    ReplyDelete